Thank you for using Wangka Maya! We have written this policy to help you understand what information we collect, how we use it and what choices you have. Because a lot of our language and community resources are on our website we’ve tried our best to explain things in a simple and clear way. We welcome your questions and comments on this policy.
What information do we collect?
We collect information in a few different ways:
When you give it to us or give us permission to obtain it
When you sign up as a community or staff member, get involved in our activities or access our materials on our shop front, you voluntarily give us certain information. This can include your name, profile photo, your address, the email address or phone number you used to sign up, and any other information you provide us. And, if you choose to buy something on Wangka Maya, you provide us with payment information, contact information (e.g. address and phone number) and details of what you purchased. If you buy something for someone else on Wangka Maya, you also provide us with their delivery details and contact information.
How do we use the information we collect?
We use the information we collect to provide our products to you and make them better, develop new products, and protect Wangka Maya and our copyright holders. If you make a purchase on Wangka Maya, we’ll save your payment information and contact information so that you can use them next time you want to buy something on Wangka Maya.
How and when do we share information?
- All language and resource material is shared subject to restrictions and conditions placed by the copyright holder on signing of our copyright agreement. Cultural sensitive information including material containing recently departed people may also be removed from the website, some families may still agree to the use of the material but others might request that it be put away for a period of mourning.
- All membership applications and our membership database are regularly monitored, as per the CATSI Act Wangka Maya is required to maintain a database of current and former members including deceased persons. Only the current membership list is published and available for public access.
- Wangka Maya also maintains a register of all published and unpublished recorded and documented language, history and cultural material belonging to Aboriginal people this is managed through strict cultural protocols and is available and accessible on limited request to protect the safety and rights or property of the copyright holders and their families.
- If you buy something on Wangka Maya, your credit card number is not shared, other than through our banking and payment system and is securely stored.
- Our banking and IT system is secure and we will only disclosure if it is necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety, rights or property of the public, any person, or Wangka Maya; or to detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
Our policy on children’s information
Wangka Maya is not aimed at children under 18 although we do obtain permission from parents to use their photos or stories to promote our organisation. If you learn that your child has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us.
How do we make changes to this policy?
We may change this policy from time to time and if we do we’ll post any changes on this page. If you continue to use Wangka Maya after those changes are in effect, you agree to the revised policy. If the changes are significant, we may provide a more prominent notice or get your consent, as required by law.
Effective: 4th January 2015